Response to the Non-Criminal Barricade
January 27, 2020
Watsonville Civic Plaza
275 Main Street - 6th Floor
Watsonville, CA 95076
8am - 5pm
Hosted by Watsonville Police Department
POST Control Number:1345-23047-19-001 - Plan N/A
The way law enforcement officers respond to a mentally ill person in crisis is a topic of intense debate. If you are like a lot of law enforcement professionals you've considered these questions:
- What should officers do with a suicidal person alone in their own home who refuses to exit?
- Do officers have a legal duty to take action to try to save the subject from harming themselves?
- When is it appropriate to disengage from a non-criminal barricaded suspect and will officers be found liable if the subject harms a third party?
In this course, we'll first answer each of those questions and discuss the relevant laws about liability and the "special relationship" doctrine. We'll examine several case studies, some which resulted in the agency being found liable and some where the agency was not. You will hear the actual incident audio from a dramatic California incident in which the police disengaged. You'll learn the modern tactics your agency can use to both limit liability and prevent a violent confrontation.
Each student will receive:
- A simple one-page decision making cheat sheet to help guide your decision making regarding when to engage, disengage and re-engage.
- A collection of policies and best practices from various agencies. You are going to walk away with the "industry standard" information.
Your instructor, Scott Savage, is a recognized expert in the response to non-criminal barricades. Scott is an experienced law enforcement officer who has not only commanded these types of incidents in the field, but also trains officers all California how to do the same. His study of the subject has included gathering best practices from agencies both in and outside of California. Scott is a dynamic speaker who is passionate about bringing this important information to the law enforcement community.
- January 27, 2020
- Watsonville Civic Plaza
- 275 Main Street - 6th Floor
- Watsonville, CA 95076
- 8am - 5pm
- Hosted by Watsonville Police Department
- 1345-23047-19-001 - Plan N/A
19 in stock